A Mosaic of Ideas About Life, Art & Superfluous Adornment.

Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Teacher Becomes the Student

"We teachers can only help the work going on, as servants wait upon a master."~Maria Montessori
I absolutely love having classes at my shop. Not only does it give me the opportunity to learn new techniques (classes from guest artists, obviously), but also to see the outcomes of other people's imagination. Most of the time I learn that I absolutely don't know everything there is to know about much of anything, and that's actually quite liberating. Most people have a great innate sense of order and design, and need only a bit of guidance in a certain direction to find they could create all along. Sometimes all we need is a bit of confidence to try new things. Aren't I the lucky one to witness all that?
My wonderful friend, Terry, working hard on her torn paper mosaic. She is a beautiful artist of her own merit. And like most artist's, doesn't think what she does is ever perfect; but you have to stop somewhere.


This beautiful Sunflower mosaic from a "beginning" student.

And, the beginnings of a gorgeous angel from a more advanced student and beautiful artist.





No comments:

Post a Comment